Hello, my name is Jen, and I am a “food snob.”
Tonight I was watching one of my favorite movies, “Ratatouille” and really feeling like a complete food snob as I indulged in my local olives, hand-made local goat cheese from goats that eat GRASS (what a novel idea. Goats eating grass. ahem…excuse me, my snobbish-ness is coming out), sardines caught in Portugal’s clean waters (the Açores), smoked salmon from Norway, watermelon grown on a family farm, and tea from flowers and hand-harvested wild edibles in Austria. I have been quite the snob about food in my adult life, and have annoyed a great many people at get-togethers and family functions of all sorts, of this I am quite sure. Like Anton Ego in that movie, “If I don’t love it, I don’t swallow.” Although I would venture to guess his statement is more about flavor (which believe me, I am a freak about flavor) but that is not the only thing that concerns me when I swallow food. I am also concerned with where my food comes from, how close to home it is grown, who touched the food before it hit my mouth, how it was grown, and most importantly, if it is actual food.
Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine, medicine thy food.” Ahh….if only the health world would take that oath, and truly understand what this means instead of letting greedy corporations rule the day and take away food freedoms while simultaneously pushing non-food substances as “better-for-you” food. For me, real food is my healer and the wrong food is my destroyer. It only takes one bad meal to throw my system into a meltdown, but it only takes about three good meals to get it back on track. What baffles me though, is how anyone can consistently eat poor quality “food-like” substances (I won’t say food, because most of the things sold in your regular grocery stores simply, are not food!) can survive. I am in constant awe of the adaptability of the human body. Even dis-ease is an adaptation to a stressor, and if it wasn’t an adaptation, the body would simply die.
I really am in complete awe and disgust of what goes on in the food industry and what people will actually chew and swallow, sometimes even after you tell them what they are really eating. I am going to be a complete snob again, and say why the hell would anyone, knowing they were eating, cancer-causing, drug-filled, puss milk, for example, go and swallow that again? Really people, I don’t get it. I know humans on the whole do not have the ability to sense long-term dangers, but puss??? You don’t honestly care you are drinking puss when you consume conventional dairy products, (and yes, this does include ice cream)!?! Please, all you out there reading who are not food snobs like myself, please explain this most fascinating of human behavior to me.
I would really also like to know, as a food snob, why is it that you don’t honestly care about these following things that take place with your food? (I don’t care to hear that you cannot afford real food, because that is not an excuse, real food is your most basic need after real water and oxygen; so those “bills,” that concert, that movie, the new outfit, the new haircut, the iPhone you have, I don’t want to hear about them.)
How can you chew and swallow (assuming you have heard these before, and if not, and plan to eat these things anyway):
- Cheese made from silicone that has even been banned for breast implants it is so toxic, which is found in chain pizza places’ cheese like Pizza hut (aka- Polydimethylsiloxane)
- Sand, also in cheese from fast food places like Burger King in particular (aka- silicon dioxide)
- Sawdust, that anti-caking agent in all shredded cheese products conventional and organic (cellulose), and in place of real seeds in jellies like Smucker’s strawberry jam
- Rice from China that is really made from plastic
- Beaver Anal glands which are used to create the flavors “vanilla,” “strawberry,” and “raspberry” in all types of conventional ice cream, candies, and syrups (castoreum)
- Human hair in bread products (L-cysteine or just cysteine)
- Anti-freeze in both ice cream and baked goods or cake and muffin mixes (propylene glycol and gelatin hydrolysate)
- Arsenic found in baby foods
- DDT which we know under it’s new name “Splenda”
- Drosophilia fly eggs which are found on conventional raisins
- Burgers and French Fries that simply will not decompose, even after sitting on a counter for 10 years! This is a McDonald’s “Happy” meal for you.
- Cancerous tumors and growths of cows (and chickens) that have been fed heat-treated garbage, which are cut off, ground up, and used to make hamburger (or chicken nuggets)
- Carbon Monoxide- yes that poisonous gas you may have a detector for in your home, which is used on all conventional meat to “wash” it and keep it pink well after it’s expiration date- well after
- Glue so toxic they have to use masks and gloves to handle it to literally glue meat chunks together to make them look like a nice cut of round sirloin
- A poisonous substance called Asparatame that is really more like chlorine, and the handlers of it have to wear full body suits like HASMAT workers in order to add it to foods and drinks
- Agent Orange, yes that stuff that seriously messed up the Vietnam vets, and deformed thousands of babies, with it’s new name “Round-up” which makes it’s way into damn near every conventional farm in America, and every other Monsanto tit-sucking country (or Monsanto bullied country I should also say)
- Lead, that metal that people are always joking around about saying “they must have eaten lead paint chips as a kid” which happens to be used as a pesticide on apples and cranberries of the conventional sort
- Methane gas, which is used to ripen green tomatoes
- And the all time disgust as of late, the one that takes the gross prize of the century: Aborted fetal cells! Yes, the company Senomyx uses aborted fetal cells as “flavor enhancers” in food sometimes known as “artificial flavors”
Really, people, I am going to stop there. There is more, much, much more. I think I hit the big ones here on the gross factor side, and if anyone can answer my question as to how and why you could ever eat another pre-packaged, fast food, or conventional food-like thing from a grocery store again- please “enlighten” me.
Jen, the food snob, signing off…..
(psst..enjoy one of my favorite scenes from Ratatouille. )
Here are the links to resources for above statements:
Sand and Silicone in cheese: http://www.evolver.net/user/soultraveller/blog/hey_pizza_hut_patrons_check_out_whats_cheese
Plastic Rice: http://www.naturalnews.com/031344_plastic_rice.html
Beaver Anal Glands: http://blog.friendseat.com/jamie-oliver-beaver-castoreum-extract-letterman
Human hair in bread products: http://www.naturalnews.com/032718_L-cysteine_commercial_bread.html
Anti-freeze in food, Google it, but here is the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
Arsenic in baby food: http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/researchers-alarmed-over-arsenic-baby-food-9770
McDonald’s burger that won’t decompose (I have personally, with my own eyes seen a 10 yr. old happy meal): http://www.naturalnews.com/030074_Happy_Meal_decompose.html
Fast food chicken dangers: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/08/do-you-have-any-idea-of-the-chemicals-used-in-fast-food-chicken.aspx?aid=CD945 (ps- what I say about burgers and chicken nuggets, I have read a great many books, and watched some horrific films that I will not post here as they are too gruesome, you will have to research more yourself if you don’t want to take my word for it)
Google Agent Orange and Monsanto, check these out: http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/index.cfm http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_23347.cfm
Cranberry bog contamination: http://www.buzzardsbay.org/craninfo.htm (I was told by an organic apple farmer that they switched to organic because Lead is the number one component of conventional apple farms’ pesticides- and yes this does include that farm you go apple-picking at in the fall where there are hay rides, and apple pies and pumpkins. Do a search on this if you don’t believe me, once again.)
Watch this movie for more info on how tomatoes are ripened and many, more things: http://www.foodincmovie.com/
Aborted fetal cells in use by Senomyx: http://www.wnho.net/senomyx_sweeter_than_sweet.htm